This week we're incredibly lucky to have two great (and easy to make at home) recipes from our friends from Beau Restaurant & Wine Bar. Founded just last year by Diva Giles and Logan Birch, Beau has quickly established itself as one of the most popular haunts in Ponsonby's Three Lamps area due to it's incredible food, diverse drinks list and bottomless charm. Beau were kind enough to give us the inside scoop on how to make their (amazing) spiced almonds at home, as well as a new cocktail courtesy of bartender Emma Verry. If that whets your appetite, then their exceptional takeaway menu
is well worth exploring as well.
Beau Spiced Almonds
- 2 big sprigs of rosemary
- 600g natural almonds
- 10g cumin
- 4g chilli
- 6g brown Sugar
- 20g salt
- 0.5g citric acid
- 30g olive oil
- Roast the almonds and sprigs of rosemary at 180 degrees together, until the almonds are golden blonde on the inside.
- Cut a couple open to check, this should be around 20-25 mins. Allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, toast off the cumin and chili in a skillet until fragrant. Allow to cool.
- Strip the roasted rosemary off the stalk, and grind in a mortar and pestle until fine, add the spices and grind again until all fine.
- Then add the salt, citric acid, and brown sugar and grind until all incorporated.
- Toss the almonds with the olive oil so that they are evenly coated, then add the spice mix and toss until evenly coated.
Passion of the Fruit Cocktail
- 45mL Mount Gay rum
- 30mL lemon juice
- 7mL sugar syrup
- 2-3 dashes angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon passionfruit pulp
- Throw everything in a cocktail shaker (or just a jar with a lid if you don’t have a shaker)
- Stir to combine the pulp
- Shake well with some ice
- Strain into a rocks glass, add some fresh ice cubes and enjoy!